SUMMER SALE: 10% Off Select Sheds
823-A Purser Drive, Raleigh, NC 27603

Create Your Dream Shed

Try the 3D Designer

Wake County Building Permits

Wake County requires building permits for all sheds that have a dimension that exceeds 12ft. Even a shed that is delivered fully assembled is supposed to be permitted. Carolina Yard Barns can obtain this building permit for you.

In order to obtain a building permit from Wake County you will need to provide us with a site plan that is to scale. Most of our customers use their property survey or a copy of their septic permit if it is to scale and has all improvements on the septic permit. If you do not have a survey or a septic permit that is to scale we can refer you to an online company that can do a site plan for you for a nominal fee.

We are also required to calculate impervious surface of your property. If you have done any improvements to your property since you had your survey completed you will need to draw them on the survey with dimensions. This includes patios, retaining walls, etc.

Wake County requires all sheds to be a minimum of 5ft from the side and rear property lines. Sometimes the setbacks are more if there are any easements on the property. Sheds must also be a minimum of 5ft from all aspects of your septic system.

If you have a septic system we apply for approval from Wake County Environmental Health and Wake County inspections at the same time. Once Wake County Environmental Health approves the location of your proposed shed they will let Wake County Inspections know that it is approved and then the inspections department will start their review. Once Wake County lists a review date in the permit portal we will get you scheduled for construction.

After your shed is constructed you will need to caulk and paint the shed and then we can schedule the building inspection. If you are in an area that is watershed the inspections department may require you to add the shed to your property survey by a licensed surveyor.

Building permits for the Towns of Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon and Rolesville are also applied for through Wake County. We can obtain any necessary permits for customers in these jurisdictions. The application process is the same as Wake County.

Please feel free to call us with any questions regarding the permit process in your area 919-365-5555.